This salad is not rabbit food - I would say it's much more fit for a dragon! This fresh and spicy salad hits can either be a meal in itself or a perfect side with your favorite Thai Dish.
- 1 Tablespoon Jasmine Rice
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional - to taste)
- 1/2 Pound Ground Pork (or ground chicken)
- 2/3 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Fish Sauce (I like the 3 Crabs brand)
- 1-3 Spicy Thai Chili Peppers - Finely Minced (you can substitute serrano or green chili pepper if you can't find Thai peppers)
- 1/2 Cup Finely Sliced Shallots (or red onions)
- 1 Head of Romain Lettuce Chopped into Bite Sized Pieces (or your favorite salad greens)
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions Chopped
- In a small pan, toast the jasmine rice until it is golden brown. Once the rice is toasted, grind it into a fine powder (you can use a mortar and pestle, a spice grinder, or a small blender)
- Heat a pan over high heat. Add the ground pork, and break it up into small mince. Meanwhile shake the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce in a covered mason jar.
- Once the meat has changed color, and is completely separated, add in chili peppers and and shallots. Cook until the pepper becomes very aromatic (it usually makes my eyes water!)
- Once the meat is cooked through add the lime juice mixture to the pan, and turn off the heat.
- Toss all the greens in a large bowl, and add the meat mixture with the sauce on top. Sprinkle the toasted rice and red peppers over the top of the salad, and enjoy.