With just a little kick, and a whole lot of flavor, this salad will have you coming back for more. The light and fresh citrus, satisfying quinoa, and intense jalapeño create a healthy dish, that will definitely satisfy. This nutrient packed dish will help you keep your energy up throughout the day.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove or garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 orange
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mixed greens
- 2 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- In a small pot, add the quinoa and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then cover and set the burner on low. Simmer on low for 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice the onion and bell pepper, and mince the garlic. Juice the orange.
- Once the quinoa has finished cooking, heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add the vegetable oil to the pan. Saute the onion until lightly browned, then add the garlic, and bell pepper. Saute together for about one minute, then add the pot of quinoa and the orange juice. Transfer the ingredients into a cold bowl, and refrigerate to cool.
- Lightly salt the chicken on each side. Heat a stainless steel pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, sear the first surface of the chicken breast (no need for oil). Sear until a light crust has formed on the underside of the chicken (3-5 minutes). Flip the chicken, and reduce the temperature to medium. Cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once the chicken done transfer it to a plate, and cool in the refrigerator.
- Deseed the jalapeño, and dice into small pieces. Roughly chop the cilantro. Add the jalapeño, cilantro, juice of two oranges, olive oil, and salt to a blender. Blend until there are no longer large chunks of jalapeño.
- Chop the green onion and chicken.
- Place a layer of mixed greens at the bottom of the bowl. Layer the chicken on top, followed by the green onion. Place the tomatoes around the edge of the bowl.
- Just before serving, pour on the dressing and toss.
High in Fiber, Protein, B1, B3, B6, Folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, and Zinc Carbs 43.81 g | Fiber 5.67 g | Fat 12.67 g | Protein 27.01 g