They say you eat with your eyes first, which makes these eye-catching vivid green cookies with deep black sesame seed such a treat! The intense colors in this dish are all natural – the pigment comes from the matcha green tea powder.
Black sesame and matcha are one of the power couples of Japanese desserts. You’ll find a wide variety of tea cakes, boba milk teas, mochi, and cookies made with this combination.
Today’s treat isn’t traditional, it’s a combination of two of my favorite treats – Matcha Lattes and Amaretti Cookies.
And great news for the Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free folks out there, this recipe doesn’t require any weird substitutes. All the ingredients are easy to buy and can be purchased at most well-stocked grocers.
- 1 egg Just the whites
- White Sugar Just enough to coat the unbaked cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325 F or 165 C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk.
- Whisk the egg until reach the soft peak stage.
- In a separate bowl stir together the almond flour, sugar, matcha, vanilla extract and Black Sesame Seeds.
- Stir the egg whites into the dry ingredients. Stir until all the dry ingredients look damp. The dough should look crumbly, but it will hold together.
- Form the dough into 12 small balls using your hands. Be careful not to over roll, as they may start to crumble again.
- Roll each of the balls in white sugar to coat the outside. I usually put a small amount of sugar in a small bowl and roll each cookie individually in the sugar.
- Place each cookie on the parchment paper, and bake for 25 minutes. You'll know they're done when the bottoms are a deep toasted brown.