*Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commision if you click through and make a purchase.
This mouth-watering fiery salad isn’t for the faint at heart. You need some spice tolerance to enjoy this screaming hot salad. I won’t judge if you prefer to use less spice, skip the red pepper flakes, and replace the Thai peppers with a milder pepper. Or, if you’re a heat freak, add more Thai chili peppers for a face-melting experience.
- 1 Tablespoon Jasmine Rice
- Red Pepper Flakes optional - to taste
- 1/2 Pound Ground Pork or ground chicken
- 2/3 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Fish Sauce I like the 3 Crabs brand
- 1-3 Spicy Thai Chili Peppers - Finely Minced you can substitute serrano or green chili pepper if you can't find Thai peppers
- 1/2 Cup Finely Sliced Shallots or red onions
- 1 Head of Romain Lettuce Chopped into Bite Sized Pieces or your favorite salad greens
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions Chopped
In a small pan, toast the jasmine rice until it is golden brown. Once the rice is toasted, grind it into a fine powder (you can use a mortar and pestle, a spice grinder, or a small blender)
Heat a pan over high heat. Add the ground pork, and break it up into small mince. Meanwhile shake the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce in a covered mason jar.
Once the meat has changed color, and is completely separated, add in chili peppers and and shallots. Cook until the pepper becomes very aromatic (it usually makes my eyes water!)
Once the meat is cooked through add the lime juice mixture to the pan, and turn off the heat.
Toss all the greens in a large bowl, and add the meat mixture with the sauce on top. Sprinkle the toasted rice and red peppers over the top of the salad, and enjoy.