*Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commision if you click through and make a purchase.
This mouth-watering fiery salad isn’t for the faint at heart. You need some spice tolerance to enjoy this screaming hot salad. I won’t judge if you prefer to use less spice, skip the red pepper flakes, and replace the Thai peppers with a milder pepper. Or, if you’re a heat freak, add more Thai chili peppers for a face-melting experience.
- 1 Tablespoon Jasmine Rice
- Red Pepper Flakes optional - to taste
- 1/2 Pound Ground Pork or ground chicken
- 2/3 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Fish Sauce I like the 3 Crabs brand
- 1-3 Spicy Thai Chili Peppers - Finely Minced you can substitute serrano or green chili pepper if you can't find Thai peppers
- 1/2 Cup Finely Sliced Shallots or red onions
- 1 Head of Romain Lettuce Chopped into Bite Sized Pieces or your favorite salad greens
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions Chopped
- In a small pan, toast the jasmine rice until it is golden brown. Once the rice is toasted, grind it into a fine powder (you can use a mortar and pestle, a spice grinder, or a small blender)
- Heat a pan over high heat. Add the ground pork, and break it up into small mince. Meanwhile shake the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce in a covered mason jar.
- Once the meat has changed color, and is completely separated, add in chili peppers and and shallots. Cook until the pepper becomes very aromatic (it usually makes my eyes water!)
- Once the meat is cooked through add the lime juice mixture to the pan, and turn off the heat.
- Toss all the greens in a large bowl, and add the meat mixture with the sauce on top. Sprinkle the toasted rice and red peppers over the top of the salad, and enjoy.