- 1 pound of lentils
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 liter chicken broth 32 ounces
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper to taste about 1/3 teaspoon each
- Fresh herbs for topping
- I generally scale the recipe up by 3 so I can have leftovers
- Dice all the vegetables.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, and saute the carrots, onion, and garlic. Once the onions have taken on some color, add the herbs, salt, pepper, and chicken broth Then bring to a low boil. Add the lentils, and stir only once. Make sure the lentils are covered by two inches of broth, add more broth (or water) so the water level is high enough. Bring the pot back up to a light boil and cover with a lid. Turn the burner down to medium low, and continue to simmer for 1 hour. The soup is done when the lentils on top are soft and tender.
- Do not stir the soup during the cooking process, the lentils will lose their texture, and become mush.
- Once the soup is done, serve topped with fresh herbs.
Carbs 66.32 g | Fiber 18.42 g | Fat 6.37 g | Protein 28.29 g