- Start heating the vegetable oil to 350 F (175 C). It is best to use a thermometer so that you do not overheat the oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, melted butter, and milk.
- In a separate bowl sift together the baking powder, cake flour, and 1 tablespoon matcha powder.
- Create a hole in the middle of the flour mixture, pour in the egg mixture. Starting from the center, mix the flour into the egg mixture a little at a time to avoid pockets of flour. Work quickly, and be careful not to over mix.
- Once the oil is ready, drop 1 tablespoon of batter into the oil. It is easiest to use a small ice cream scoop that has been dipped in the oil before scooping. Do not cook too many doughnuts at a time, otherwise the oil temperature may drop too much.
- Let the doughnuts cook in the oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Scoop out each doughnut and drain the excess oil roll on a piece of paper towel to absorb some of the oil from the doughnut.
- Let the doughnuts rest until cool.
- In a large plastic bag, shake together the 1/4 teaspoon matcha powder, and powdered sugar. Add the doughnuts, and shake until they are coated in the sugar mixture.
- *If you are making this dairy-free, I recommend using earth balance butter and unsweetened almond milk. The nutritional content will change from below.