This flavorful soup will stick to your bones and satisfy even the hungriest pregnant lady or teenager. This dish is easy to prepare in bulk, and reheats well from frozen. Just be sure to leave out the pasta until you are ready to serve.
- 2 lb Italian Sausage
- 2 Onions
- 4 large Carrots
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 4 Zuccini
- 1 large Summer Squash
- 6 cups Broth I prefer a bone broth
- 1 cup Basil Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Lemon You'll want both the zest and the juice
- 1 lb Pasta
- Cut the sausage into bite size peices and add it into a soup pot. cook the sausage over medium until it is browned on one side barely cooked through.
- While the sausage is cooking, dice the onions and carrots. Peal the garlic. Cut the summer squash and zucchini inot bite-sized half moons.
- Remove the sausage from the pot using a slated spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the fat in the pot.
- Add veggies to the pot, and crush the garlic in. Cook the vegetables until they take on just a little bit of color.
- Add the broth, and bring the pot to a low simmer.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the basil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper until it forms a dense paste.
- Once the pot has reached a low simmer, pat the sausage to remove the grease, and add it to the pot.
- Add the pasta, and cook until tender.
- Just before serving, add the basil paste, along with the zest of the lemon, and juice of the lemon to taste.