- 200 grams sliced almonds Just over 1 1/2 cups
- 150 grams honey just under 1/2 cup
- 30 grams sugar about 3 tablespoons
- The zest of half a lemon
- The white of 1/3 egg
- 50 grams of semi-sweet baker’s chocolate 2 ounces – Be careful to find a dairy-free chocolate if you are allergic
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread the sliced almonds on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast the almonds in the oven for 10-15 minutes, mixing occasionally. They are done when they are golden-brown.
- While the almonds are baking, heat the honey and sugar in a frying pan. Stir the mixture over medium heat with a wooden spoon, until the syrup begins to thicken, and there are no clumps or crystals.
- Whip the egg white, until soft peaks form. Whip the whole egg white, otherwise it is too difficult to create volume.
- Once the almonds are done toasting, grind the almonds into a powder in small batches in a blender or food processes. Be sure to do small batches otherwise it will form a paste rather than a powder. Mix the lemon zest in with the powdered almonds and set aside.
- Mix the 1/3 egg white in with the syrup mixture. Remove the syrup from the heat. Clumps will form, keep mixing in the eggs until the mixture is completely smooth (this will take about 10 minutes). Once the egg is incorporated, mix in the almond and lemon zest mixture. This will be very difficult, mix in the pan until the mixture is cool enough to touch.
- Scoop the contents of the pan onto a large piece of parchment lined paper. Use the parchment paper to fold and press the turrón in a kneading fashion. Continue kneading the mixture until the turrón becomes shiny throughout. Form into a 2 cm thick nougat. Wrap the turrón in the parchment paper and press between two plates. Weigh down the top plate so that it compresses the mixture. Let the mixture set over night to harden and set.
- Once the turrón has set, cut nougat into 2 cm cubes (If the mixture is too difficult to cut, try microwaving for 30 seconds).
- Melt the baker’s chocolate in the microwave. Microwave for 30 seconds, and then mix with a fork, Microwave for another 30 seconds and mix again. If the chocolate isn’t completely melted alternate microwaving for 10 seconds and mixing until smooth.
- Dip the top surface of each cube of turrón into the chocolate. Set the turrón chocolate side up on a set of parchment paper. Let the chocolate cool and set.
- Once the chocolate has hardened it is time to enjoy and share your Christmas treat.
Calories per serving 122
Carbs 12.88 g | Fiber 1.62 g | Fat 7.38 g | Protein 2.80 g