Cake isn’t supposed to be healthy, contain vegetables, or be guilt-free! It’s a decadent sometimes treat that’s meant to be enjoyed on special occasions. Unfortunately, I’ve had a LOT of really bad vegan cakes, and I’ve failed more times than I care to admit at making my own.
But this cake is the BOMB!! It’s rich, flavorful, and so chocolaty.
- 3/4 cup almond milk or your favorite dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup vegan yogurt with cultures
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder Don't use alkali or dutch cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- The buttermilk needs to prep for at least 10 minutes before you use it in this recipe. In a medium bowl, mix the almond milk, vegan yogurt, and vinegar.
- Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Line your baking tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift together all your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the coconut oil and vegan chocolate chips.
- Microwave the chocolate mixture for 10 seconds at a time, stirring the mixture with a fork until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Do not proceed to the next steps until the oven is pre-heated, and the buttermilk has had time to sit. You need to move quickly through the last steps. Otherwise, your cupcakes will not rise properly.
Once the oven is pre-heated
- Add your chocolate mix, and vanilla to your buttermilk mix, and stir. It's ok if the chocolate doesn't mix in.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir just until evenly mixed. Move quickly!
- Spoon the cupcake batter into liners. Fill 2/3 full. Otherwise, you run the risk of your cupcakes being dense or sinking in the middle.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are springy to the touch.